Happy Thanksgiving Day 2011

Two months ago today, I caught up with a small group of independent civic minded young citizens who took it upon themselves to voice their objections to the state of the nation. Their base camp was in front of the Federal Reserve bank (230 South La Salle Street Chicago, IL 60604). Two months later the #OccupyChicago (#OccupyChi) is now known nationally as being the successful branch of the occupation without a base camp.

They have gone from being blanketed with a new black-out to getting coverage from national outlets. Even Obama has been "Mic Checked" by Occupiers at a recent stump speech. And this was covered respectfully by CBS News.

They have gone from depending on blogs, like this one, to being within a hair's breath of publishing their own newspaper. Occupy Wall Street has published the Occupy Wall Street Journal, and Occupy Chicago is about to publish the Occupy Chicago Tribune.

A few weeks ago, one of the prominent members of the group, gently pointed out that I've never said anything at any General Assembly.

He is right. Over the past two months I have not addressed the general assemble, though I have taken part in a few votes. I have not written anything, nor attempted to direct the group in any way. I have lent support in some background information which may help. And, used my Kodak to archive the events I have attended. That is my extend of "active support."

As I have watched the movement grow and change. I have not seen anything which would require my input. While bumpy, and somewhat messy at times, Occupy Chicago has, and continues to be, on the right track. The group manages, very well, to overcome problems, and work around issues and conflicts. More to the point, they do it better than I could. As such, most of what I have done with them, and for them, is to write what I see, and keep a video archive of the past 60 days. I have no great need to promote myself as being of any importance in this world, or to the movement. The Occupy Movement is doing just fine without my interjection. Just fine indeed.

On this Thanksgiving Day 2011, I am truly thankful that the rebellion is in the street, and that today's rebels are dedicated to peaceful resistance. Happy Thanksgiving, Occupy Chicago, and all the Occupation sites around the nation.

Comments

Popular Posts