Welcome to The Rebellion.


Gray tobacco smoke swirls across my makeshift multi-purpose computer screen. Craving nicotine addiction appeased for a time.  The tempting smell of freshly brewed coffee foretells of a small, selfish pleasure soon to come. Strong, black coffee is on its way. The last of the gurgling emits from the four cup drip coffee machine. In my orange hoodie and blue sweats I sit in front of the screen with vaguely formed ideas swirling through my head. My roommates still slumber in unconsciousness, willfully heedless of the effort which churns around them. It is the last day of March. It is a chilly 40 degrees. It is a Saturday morning. Welcome to The Rebellion.

The United States of America is in deep shit. The reasons have been documented in science journals dating back to the late 1940s. The Chicago Study proved uncategorically that race (be it Croatian, Polish, Italian, Irish, Hispanic, or Black) has nothing whatsoever to do with crime. Merton’s work on Social Strain documents how individuals and society pass from lawfulness to lawlessness. Maslow teaches us what motivates human beings on individual levels. And these studies are but the tip of the iceberg when it comes to why functional societies fall apart, regroup, and redevelop. We are in the latter phase of such a process. I’ll let you do the research for yourself.

Even before September 17, 2011 when 200 people took over Zuccotti Park, renamed it Liberty Park, and brought the worlds focus on the issue of income inequity, I’ve made suggestions on what The Rebellion needed to read. It is a given that I am partial towards these writings. It is also a given that I am not very good at writing book reports. I think we might have done one in college twenty-two years ago. Before that, it was in High School some eleven years prior (we’ll talk about age later). What I am left with is simply mentioning the name of the work, the author, and a link to Wikipedia or Amazon for you to research. However, I am going to attempt to crack open my thoughts on the works and fill in a few details.

All of these works are from Robert A. Heinlein. He was a science fiction writer from the 1939 to 1987 (he passed away in 1988). Many of the issues you and I are grappling with today were covered in his stories. The fact that he could make a comfortable living writing short stories, and novellas, where so many writers are destitute now, proves just how much we have degraded as a society over the years.

The first work is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. It is the story of the penal colony in the moon throwing off the ruling Earth authority under the guidance of a self-aware AI (artificial intelligence) program. The important parts in this work are twofold. One is the political theory behind a rebellion in a closed society that is losing resources to the rulers. The second is the unique cell structure created to keep the rebellion alive as the authorities strike back. Based on what we have seen with the Oligarchy strikes against Anonymous. Both discussions may be very useful right now. 

My favorite quite from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress:

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do" 

"You would not abide by a law that the majority felt was necessary?" 

"Tell me what law, dear lady, and I will tell you whether I will obey it."[1]

The second work I suggest is a Novella contained in Revolt in 2100. I first read this story in The Past Through Tomorrow, but that anthology of Heinlein’s work is no longer in print. The short story is called If This Goes on…. To put it succinctly the work covers, as one reviewer put it, “the business of Revolution.” There are many ideas in this one that I wish the Occupation, or whatever springs from the Occupation Movement, would internalize.

If This Goes On… talks about the use of words, and word choices to convey the message. It discusses organization skills, and how to run a minority opposition. It also talks of human freedom, and true liberty. There is so much in that one short story that it is hard to summarize the work which was written in 1940, before World War II. This one quote will give you the breadth and scope of the work:

“When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know, the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, - not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.”[2]

There are other works I would suggest, but there two are the place to start. It is the place where I started many years ago, and inspiration for all that has followed. If you are free inside yourself, then you are free indeed. I’ll add more to the ideas on The Rebellion in the next installment.  



[1] Valia, T. (2007, July 28). Quotes: Robert Heinlein's "Moon is a Harsh Mistress" (novel). In Variety SF. Retrieved March 31, 2012, from http://variety-sf.blogspot.com/2007/07/quotes-robert-heinleins-moon-is-harsh.html
[2] Heinlein, R. A. (1940). If This Goes On..

Comments

Popular Posts